Our human "morality" is a thin tissue of arbitrary principle, easily ignored when expedient. Why should we expect more from alien lifeforms than we expect from ourselves? As a matter of practical fact, much of what we presume to know about the alien life-form is conjecture. However, amidst the theory, there are two absolute, unequivocal facts:
1. They are not like us.
2. We will never truly understand them. 'Theory of Alien Propagation', by Dr. Waidslaw Orona, civilian advisor to the Colonial Marine Corps
Though the Yautja call them kiande amedha (meaning "hard meat"), the extraterrestrial species is commonly referred by others as an Alien, Xenomorph (lit. "alien form" - from Greek xeno-, which translates as either "other" or "strange", and -morph, which denotes shape) or Xenomorph XX121.
- The Nostromo crew referred to it as an alien, monster, a nasty, a thing, and an organism.
- The Sulaco crew referred to it as a creature.
- Lieutenant Gorman onboard the Sulaco used the term xenomorph with reference to generic extraterrestrial life.
- It was referred to as a beast and a dragon by the crew of Fiorini 161.
- It was referred to as a serpent by Weyland's Antarctic crew.
- It was given a binomal Latin name of Internecivus raptus which means "murderous thief."
- Also called by human scientists linguafoeda acheronsis, which means "foul tongue from Acheron."
They are (primarily) bred through the laying of eggs by a Queen. These eggs produce a facehugger which latches onto and impregnates its prey with an embryo. The embryo inherits some characteristics of its host and (usually) ejects itself from the rib cage, killing its host in the process.
Described as "pure" by the android Ash, the Kiande Amedha's entire motivation is the continued survival of its species. This is done either by the elimination or impregnation of other creatures. While rudimentary in intelligence, the Kiande Amedha are extremely resilient, with few apparent methods to kill them.
In 2093, the "Deacon" shares several biological traits after it explodes from a deceased Engineer's chest, which was impregnated by a Trilobite. This trilobite was conceived by Elizabeth Shaw while having sexual intercourse with an infected Charlie Holloway. The breed borrows physical traits from the various stages of the life cycle, such as the femininity from Shaw.
Space Jockey Association
The principal theory of the Space Jockey's connection to the Kiande Amedha is that the Space Jockey's Ship was a "bomber." They used the Kiande Amedha as biogenic weapons to fight against an unknown foe due to the Kiande Amedha's bio-mechanical nature. Kiande Amedha Eggs were believed to be used as "bombs" on an enemy planet and allow the Kiande Amedha to kill the entire population as they spawned.
Kiande Amedha are also known for their constant association with the Yautja species. Yautja consider the Kiande Amedha as more-than-worthy prey for many reasons. They are considered the Finger of the Gods, pointing out the weak and undeserving. Only a great Warrior can defeat one in combat.
The skull of a Kiande Amedha is a Yautja's prize trophy, and would be well respected among his peers.
To fight them properly, the beast had to be aware of the Yautja's presence. Upon the Kiande Amedha the youth cut their tusks, the inexperienced learn the truth of the Path, turn experience into valor, come of age, become a true Yautja and could father younglings with pride and pass on the courage and honor that separate Beings of Will from the dross of mere instinctual life.
"Stupid but deadly, the Hard Meat would teach the main lesson one needs to know: move well or die." AvP: Prey. Steve Perry, and S. D. Perry. Bantam, May 1994. Print.
The Kiande Amedha are believed to have evolved in its current form. At least one alien species considers them a delicacy.
The Yautja and Kiande Amedha seem to have a connected evolution. The Yautja consider them the ultimate prey.
According to Yautja folklore, the Kiande Amedha spread across the galaxy by simultaneous evolution as they could adapt to any environment and store it within their DNA to pass it on to future generations.
According to Machiko Noguchi, the Yautja folklore may just mask the truth that Yautja themselves spread the aliens through their blood rites. Cultural pride could, at no time, stomach this notion. Usually, leaving any Kiande Amedha alive after a hunt is considered criminal; it means that the hunt was incomplete.
Dr. Waidslaw Orona, civilian advisor to the Colonial Marine Corps, wrote a confidential paper, "Theory of Alien Propagation" regarding the social structure of Kiande Amedha. Judging from the alien's dense exoskeleton and remarkable adaptability, Orona assumed their home-world to be a harsh, desolate environment.
It's home world would have been shaped by physical and evolutionary forces similar to Earth - just as Dr Bergrstom theorized Yautja had some origins on Earth millions of years ago.
It is quite possible, as Kiande Amedha have been around for so long, that they evolved into "perfect organisms," easily adapting to any foreign environment, including space. They could have stored this information within their "genetic DNA." This is one explanation as to how the Auriga Kiande Amedha have "genetic" memories.
Within the Earth-realm multiverse, the Kiande Amedha had descended on Outworld long ago, but the dormant eggs they left behind were only recently found. The leader of the Tarkatan patrol had picked up one of the leathery orbs, just to have it burst open and the facehugger latched itself to his face. Later, after the facehugger had fallen off, the Kiande Amedha progeny bursts from the Tarkatan's chest, bearing traits of both a Kiande Amedha and host. It eluded the rest of the Tarkatan soldiers and eventually killed them. The creature now roams Outworld, looking for more hosts.
Kiande Amedha are hostile and aggressive towards other life-forms, attacking other creatures on sight or taking them to their nest.
They may also stalk their prey for a time in order to ambush them later.
Life-forms that are not suitable for harvest are generally ignored or killed.
Kiande Amedha propagate by using any and all lifeforms in whatever ecosystem they've infected to grow their numbers and spread even further. All ecosystems exist in a delicate state of balance. This would be as true of the Kiande Amedha home-world.
At home, the Kiande Amedha would have a number of natural enemies. Some would live, some would die, and the Kiande Amedha herd would be kept in check.
The violent, uncontrollable Kiande Amedha infestations occurred when the creatures were removed from their natural habitat. Dr. Waidslaw Orona can only guess how this might have happened. Perhaps it was millions of years ago. Perhaps only decades. The result is all that matters. Somehow, the Kiande Amedha were transplanted to other worlds.
The creatures would not be concerned with the particulars of their environment. They would concern themselves only with circumstances. The natural predators were gone. The balance was gone. All that was left was prey.
The metabolism of the Kiande Amedha is just as unusual as its reproductive cycle. The skin is composed of polarized silica and provides remarkable protection from environmental extremes as well as impact.
Kiande Amedha do not have constant cellular activity, like mammals, and consequently do not generate body heat and do not show up on infrared sensors. On Earth, polar bears are almost entirely invisible in infrared vision. The polar bears' layers of fur and blubber trap their body heat well below their skin, leaving the outer layer to be roughly the same temperature as the snow around them. Only the bears' face and breath can be seen in infrared. So it is possible that the Kiande Amedha have a similar method of concealing their body temperatures.
Their internal energy is electrical in nature, and is "circulated" via the acid which is their blood. The acid is highly conductive, and the molecules are ideal for energy storage and transportation. This process is similar to that used in automobile batteries and other small electrical storage devices.
Kiande Amedha are even capable of surviving by simply being close to high levels of electrical power. For example, current moving in a power line induces a current in the Kiande Amedha in much the same way that a radio signal induces a current in an antenna. This kind of current supplies enough power for an Kiande Amedha to survive in dormancy, and to recharge slowly while inactive. Because of this affect, Kiande Amedha are attracted to the machinery of Humanity; in a way, it "smells" good to them.
Much like the Facehugger within its Egg, a dormant adult Kiande Amedha can remain in that state for decades or centuries with no loss of ability, and it will wake up only in the presence of food or danger.
There have been several types of mutations affecting Kiande Amedha Drones.
- Aeruginosus: A mutation resulting in green highlights on its skin.
- Atropureus: A mutation resulting in violet and green highlights to their skin.
- Aureus: A mutation resulting in golden-green stripes on their skin.
- Cerulean: A mutation resulting in blue highlights on their skin.
- Cataphractus: A mutation resulting in the development of a central row of large spikes running down the top of the skull. Additionally, the front dome is missing, and the rudimentary remains of the original host species' skull are exposed. This mutation is notable as it shares characteristics with the unique kiande amedha specimen named the Raven.
There have been several types of mutations affecting Kiande Amedha Spitters.
- Azureus: A mutation resulting in azure-blue highlights on their skin.
- Bulbosus: A mutation resulting in an additional row of bulbous acid sacs covering the top of their carapaces and a smaller row of additional sacs on the front of its skull.
"The Hard Meat, save for the queens, were no smarter than dogs, but they were fierce and deadly game. Good prey upon which to train the young warriors..." Broken Tusk, Aliens vs. Predator: Prey
The Nostromo Kiande Amedha is like an inexperienced and curious child. It's never been subject to its own culture, it's never been subject to anything except a few hours in the hold of the ship. It's a self-propagating machine, a "biomechanical insect." The Nostromo Kiande Amedha predominantly killed, as did the Fiorini Kiande Amedha. The Acheron Kiande Amedha mainly captured hosts, and only killed a few. There are well over a hundred PDT signals seen by the Marines. Hudson commented it "looks like all of 'em [the colonists]". The Auriga Kiande Amedha did a bit of both.
The Acheron Kiande Amedha is like a human army like the Viet Cong or guerrilla fighters. They act like soldiers taking tactical decisions and maneuvers. When the Marines encounter them on LV-426, it would be the second time they've been to war - the first was with the colonists. So, this time they managed to mobilize themselves before demoralizing and decimating their enemy. The Acheron Kiande Amedha performed warfare operations and ambushing attacks.
Some caged Auriga Kiande Amedha have been observing Dr. Gedimen as much as he has been observing them: once his attention slips they launch an attack on one of their own, spilling its intestines upon the steel flooring, melting it and providing an escape. They swiftly incapacitate the scientists and elimate the military personel so effectively that commanding officer General Perez can only liken it to a “military strike”.
- One Acheron Kiande Amedha took out the dropship by killing Ferro, thus causing the dropship to crash and leaving the marines stranded.
- When the Marines wander inside the nest, they find nothing at first. The biomechanic appearance of the Acheron Kiande Amedha allows them to meld perfectly within the walls of the Hive. Lying dormant, it had blended perfectly with the convoluted surface of fused bone. They slide out of their holes and the walls begin to treacle down towards the troopers on the ground.
- They cut the ammo and gun supply.
- They cut the power to blind their enemy, split into groups/squads and quietly sneak in on them from above, below and the back.
- The Acheron Kiande Amedha that Burke encounters was a part of the ambushing team, trying to cut the marines off from the other side. This is typical for human warfare operations.
- They use pools of water and air ducting to engage the humans in conditions favorable to their extra-terrestrial strengths. Consider that in Vietnam the Viet Cong was famous for using a subterranean tunnel supply system. Once more, the Acheron Kiande Amedha mirror that function, taking up residence in the "sub levels" of the battlefield, moving back and forth out of easy sight
- The Acheron Kiande Amedha started moving in slowly because Ripley had a gun almost aimed at the Queen They didn't want to risk it so they moved like all the other Acheron Kiande Amedha - like special forces, trying to get to the person holding a hostage by walking up very slowly, so they wont startle him. They did so until the Queen ordered them to back off.
Ripley: They cut the power.
Private Hudson: What do you mean *they* cut the power? How could they cut the power, man? They're animals! Aliens. 20th Century Fox. 1986. DVD.
Kiande Amedha senses are good. Their vision is especially sharp, and they can see further into the infrared than Humans can. Their vision is especially sharp, and they can see further into the infrared than Humans can.
Their infrared sense is one of the primary ways the Kiande Amedha track their prey. Their sense of smell is also used prominently, as it informs the Kiande Amedha of the rough organic composition of the victim and is frequently what alerts them to the presence of the victim in the first place.
Kiande Amedha have excellent hearing. They generally communicate by sound, although they do not have a language that is recognizable to Humans. Their communications skills are like those of bees or ants, which carry vital messages about food or danger but which are clearly beyond the realm of Human-style communication.
It is also believed that the Kiande Amedha communicate through ultrasonic soundwaves, like bats. This information was imparted through one of Ripley 8’s nightmares. However, she later tells Call that she can feel the Kiande Amedha presence "In my head. Behind my eyes" much in the same way.
It is also speculated that they have the ability to "smell fear."
In vacuum and other situations where sound is useless, Kiande Amedha communicate by adjusting the heat production of the surfaces of the head. Although this is invisible to the Human eye, the infrared abilities of Kiande Amedha make it easy for them to determine what patterns are being displayed.
Caste / Hierarchy / Hive
[discussing where the eggs come from]
Private Hudson: Maybe it's like an ant-hive?
Private Vasquez: Bees, man. Bees have hives! Aliens. 20th Century Fox. 1986. DVD.
Like ants and most wasps, the Kiande Amedha adopt a functionalist, hierarchical social system. Their society within the Hive consists of adult Kiande Amedha, and their mother, the Queen.
In an insect hive-based society each caste differs greatly physically, as if they were built for this role. Termites have 3 castes, the reproductives, workers, and soldiers - each differ physically, and all castes are also of both genders. Soldiers are larger with bigger heads and bigger mandibles used for killing. Workers are smaller - they construct the hive, tend to the eggs, etc. The reproductives are the only caste in the termite society with wings, they are the ones that become queens and replenish the termite species.
Dr. Waidslaw Orona knows from the encounter on Rim that the Kiande Amedha have a queen-based hierarchy. He also know they form hives to protect their young. The drones are the queen's slaves, and there would be nothing more important than the construction of a new hive.
The nesting instinct is a powerful one. Early on, all effort would be concentrated on completing the hive. The Kiande Amedha would not think in terms of sacrifice. The hive is all. To assume death has meaning to these creatures is to deny their greatest power.
The Kiande Amedha hives resemble those of termites. Though similar, they have different purposes and a different way of functioning. Termites construct hives by using saliva to stick the grains of sands together into a gigantic structure. Kiande Amedha also secret resin which is secreted from the mouths of Adults, onto an environment to make it more suitable to theirs. Much like the silk spun by spiders, this Resin is composed primarily of polarized silicon that hardens on drying and is extremely tough and durable.
In its hardened state, it adopts a darker, translucent color, often varying shades of black, brown and/or green. Once hardened, it is relatively elastic whilst still retaining exceptional tensile strength. It also has remarkable insulating properties and is semi-opaque. Another important feature of the Resin is that it interferes with radio communications, and any Strike Team penetrating deep into a Lair will find they lose contact with the outside world.
If natural building material were unavailable, perhaps other - elements - would be substituted. They would sacrifice themselves for materials needed to make the hive. Orona would not describe this as cannibalism so much as a remarkably ruthless practicality.
Termite hives have ventilation systems and an intricate set of passageways; Termite hives also supply their own heat, which is needed to incubate the eggs. Termite Hives and all insect hives are a set of various chambers.
Kiande Amedha normally build their Lairs around a pre-existing structure such as a natural ground depression, a man-made structure, or a stand of trees. The Resin is used to insulate and protect the Lair, to provide a structural framework for the Kiande Amedha to move on, and to create niches for concealment and rest in dormancy. It may also be used to cocoon hosts since the Auriga Hive had resin practically only on the cocoons. On LV-426 ("Acheron"), the Kiande Amedha used the resin to go into some sort of camouflaged hibernation.
Kiande Amedha chambers simply consist of the Queen's chamber, which is surrounded by eggs and host cocoons. Kiande Amedha hives may require heat to incubate the eggs.
- Kane mentioned that it was like "the Goddamn tropics" when he encountered the eggs on the Derelict.
- The A2 hive was constructed near the reactor which is hot. The heat haze evident in the chamber is evident of just how hot it is, backing up Frost's comment that it was "Hot as hell." There may be heat generated by the hive itself, the same temperature as the Kiande Amedha's body heat, thus masking them from IR tracking. Alternatively, the heat could be a natural by-product of such close proximity to the AP Station's primary heat exchanger.
Private Hudson: They're coming outta the walls. They're coming outta the goddamn walls. Let's book! Aliens. 20th Century Fox. 1986. DVD.
Kiande Amedha build the Lair so that they can use the walls, floor, and ceiling for movement. Their gripping power combined with the special glands which secrete a contact cement allow them to support themselves from the ceiling and walls much like giant insects. This greatly increases their mobility and their Stalking ability within their Lairs. Because the Resin is composed of the same type of material as an Kiande Amedha's exoskeleton, the Lair provides ideal camouflage. If an Alien remains motionless it is almost undetectable, blending perfectly into the wall or ceiling. This plays a key role in how deadly the Kiande Amedha are within their Lairs.
Kiande Amedha Sentries have the ability to pick up and monitor vibrations through the Resin. This sense is used to communicate with the Queen and also provides them with exceptionally accurate remote sensors for tracking the movement of life within the Lair. In essence, this gives the Sentry an accurate picture of the numbers, movement, and position of all life in the Lair. The Sentry thus has a much clearer picture of the situation within the Lair than any Colonial Marine Officer could ever obtain.
Outside interference does not allow Kiande Amedha society to expand to their potential. Given enough time, a hive will grow past what has been seen by Ripley. On LV-426 ("Acheron"), the hive was around 3 weeks old but covered large portions of sub-level 2 and 3 underneath the Atmospheric Processor. They had turned most of the man made structure into their hive until USCM intervention forced the Kiande Amedha expansion to halt. Onboard the USM Auriga, the hive is small as it is only a few hours old.
With the existence of a Hive world, a hive can reach levels never before seen, allowing literally thousands upon thousands of Kiande Amedha to spawn and serve the Queen. It remains to be seen if the Queen could know all the actions of the hive at different locations.
The adult kiande amedha are custodians for the embyronic Queen, clearing the area of potential hostilities and setting the foundations of a hive.
After being abducted, Newt wakens to find herself stuck in the wall of the nest with a Kiande Amedha egg opening in front of her. The Kiande Amedha administered some sort of mild paralysing agent to a potential host in much the same manner as a facehugger puts the host into a coma for implantation.
Ripley rips apart the hive material to free Newt with some difficulty. Newt couldn't break out of the cocoon. An an adult could break free upon awakening, but would still be weak from the affects of the paralysis to do anything about breaking out of their cocoon before the facehugger attaches itself.
Captive Kiande Amedha
There have been numerous occassions that the Kiande Amedha have been held captive, usually by theYautja.
- The Antartica Queen was ancient, captured by Yautja and locked up in a temple in Antartica. She was kept frozen most of the time, only being "thawed out" every 100 years to lay eggs for the Yautja'a Rite of Passage hunt. In 2004, she was freed by her offspring and escaped to the surface. Scar tried to stop her, but she killed him, but unfortunately fell into the icy waters of Antartica, dropping hundreds of meters to the bottom. It is possible that she survived being frozen again.
- The Auriga Queen Queen was born in 2381 on the USM Auriga, extracted from the cloned version of Ripley8 by human scientists. When her offspring escaped, they freed her and she made a nest near the docking area of the Auriga, near where the Betty was docked. The Auriga Queen was killed when the Newborn, born from the womb of the Auriga Queen, slapped her head off.
- The "3rd Base" Queen was captured by General Spears and kept on a secret base on an asteroid. General Spears was training Kiande Amedha to be his soldiers for the purpose of retaking Earth - it had been invaded by Kiande Amedha at this point. The plan failed when the Kiande Amedha refused to obey Spears. The Queen bit his head off when Spears used a flamethrower on her. They both apparently died.
- The Samara Station Queen had a high intelligence. One of the few kiande amedha to actually work together with humans and Yautja, she furthered her own agenda to join them. She fought with Ash Parnall and the Big Mama Predator against the evil computer program "TOY". Ultimately, she was impregnated by a facehugger, a rare occurrence. She died while taking one of TOY-s minions with her when the chestburster erupted.
- The Matriarch was a very old Queen captured by Yautja and brought to the planet BG-386. Thousands of years later, Weyland-Yutani captured her and experimented on on her. She was finally released by Specimen 6. At this point, her skin was becoming white and crusted from old age but she was still able to lay eggs and command Kiande Amedha. Rookie, a Colonial Marine, blew up fuel tanks surrounding her, killing her. Specimen 6 later took over command of the hive.
"The Alien tore through Shinnok's flesh, reducing him to a bloody pulp. The creature then returned to its nest in Outworld. It continued to venture forth looking for suitable hosts for use in establishing a new hive. The Alien found more than a few intriguing species and dragged them back to its lair. Once a queen had been spawned, the Alien's new hive multiplied quickly and spread unchecked throughout the realm. Emperor Kotal Kahn attempted to save Outworld in a desperate final attack on the Aliens' main nesting ground. The attack failed. Outworld belonged to the Aliens." Ending Cut Scene: Mortal Kombat X